Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Baby Love Went To Heaven

This is a long one.......

The summer of 1999 was awesome. I was getting ready for my freshman year of high school. I remember having one of the best summer's of my life.

One day, my best friends sister came running up to me and said, "There is a cat under your house!". I thought she was messing around with me at first, but when I bent down to look in the opening under our deck, sure enough, I could see a cat. I tried to coax the sweet thing out and she would come close and then get spooked. So, I decided to leave her alone for the time being and just let her stay there.

The next time I tried, I was successful. Only because I sat out there by the opening and said what felt like a billion times, "Come here, Baby! Come on, Baby!". Eventually, she came right out and let me pet her and inspect her for tags. She did not have any identification. She also had been declawed. I felt so terrible for her. I knew at some point she had had a home with someone. I asked mom and dad if we could keep her and they said very firmly, "NO!". If you know me in real life, you know that I am very stubborn and I always try to get my way.

Over the next few weeks, I would leave cans of tuna out for her. I had to make sure she was fed, but I was just waiting for the day when she would find the person or family that loved her.

Then, it started turning into fall here in Utah. It was cold outside and I couldn't let the poor thing be out in it alone. So, I started bringing her in at night and during the day when mom and dad weren't home. She was so sweet. She was cuddly and playful. I always wanted a dog, but this cat would absolutely make the whole "dog as a pet" thing go away. I could live with having a cat! Ha!

I remember coming home one night to hear my family talking "baby talk" in the living room. When I turned the corner, there she was "Baby". My first thought was, 'Shit! I forgot to put her outside. Are they going to yell at me?'. Then my mom turned to me and said,"Tiff, we had to bring her inside, she doesn't have any claws. We can't leave her outside defenseless.".

After that, it was a sealed deal. I had my first pet.

My precious "Baby Love"

I later learned she was a calico and siamese mix. Her eyes were the brightest blue and she had a personality that wasn't like any other cat I had ever met. I used to always say she is my cat that acts like a dog, and she did. She came when you called her. I would yell up to her from the basement that it was bed time and she would run down stairs to cuddle up in bed with me. She wanted to go potty outside. She was the best!

In a lot of ways, she saved me. I went through some pretty difficult emotional struggles in my teens and into my early 20s, but I always had my Baby Love. She knew when I was down and would always come rub up against me. She would let me cuddle her like a little teddy bear when I would be bawling and inconsolable. She definitely put a smile on my face.

I love her so much! She definitely turned me into a crazy cat lady. Whenever she would walk into a room, I would stop whatever I was doing and start calling to her and talking to her. Haha! I might have been a little crazy obsessed in love. 

When I moved in with Chad, she stayed at my parent's house. I would still go and see her from time to time, but not nearly as much.

Last Wednesday, my dad asked me to call him and when I did, he said it wasn't good news. Baby had been sick for a couple of days. He had to crawl through some furniture in their pool house at 4AM to bring her inside. Once she was inside, all she would want is to be outside. She was too skinny, very frail and stopped responding when called to. My dad called a local vet and asked what could be the problem. They told him with all of the symptoms she has, it sounded like the best thing to do for her was put her down.

So, after work, I headed to Dad's house for my final goodbye to my sweet girl. We cuddled, I cried, I talked to her, I thanked her for finding me, and I kissed her a thousand times. Also, we took 1 final picture together on the car ride over.

I walked into the vet's office, not quite prepared for what was to come. I have never had to do this before! They took Baby Love into the back room to put her catheter in. Then, they brought her back to us. She laid on the table and I cuddled up to her for the final time. Within seconds of the shot going into the catheter, my Baby was gone. She looked so peaceful and beautiful.

My Dad went and picked up her ashes this past week. Now, Baby Love is home!
Baby Love,

I miss you so much! Thank you for being my best friend and the best cat a girl could ever have. I love you forever and always. I will see you again someday, Princess.

Rest In Peace!
Your Momma

1 comment:

  1. Awwa... that is so sad and sweet. Pets are the best friends!!